Come and visit the heritage tree located on the grounds of St. Cuthbert’s Anglican Church (1399 Bayview Ave, Toronto).
The majestic, nearly 200 year-old great white oak at St. Cuthbert’s Anglican Church, was the first tree to receive recognition through Forests Ontario’s Heritage Tree 150 (a Canada sesquicentennial project). The celebration was held on Saturday March 25th, during St. Cuthbert’s Church’s Creation Care 2017 weekend.
In 1890, William Lea designated half an acre of land for a small Anglican Mission church (later to be named St. Cuthbert’s). In early years, as the only public building in the area, it served as Leaside’s first City Hall, community centre and meeting place. St. Cuthbert’s and its great white oak have been the center of generations of change and growth in the Leaside community.
Special thanks to our parishioners Kathi and Bob Davies for their nomination of this majestic, nearly 200 year old tree, and to the St. Cuthbert’s Church gardening community for being God sent, caring stewards over the years.